Friday, February 21, 2014

The Retelling of my Myth (Post #9)

I hear the cries of help from everyone. Whether it be from the elderly, people in danger, or even a child. It is because I am the goddess of Mercy. I am dedicated to helping the helpless and making their lives easier if need be. This morning when I woke everything was fine, nothing major needed my assistance. A baby needing numbing ointment to help with teething, a few citizens with health issues, fisherman needed help crossing the ocean, the daily occurrences. It wasn't until late afternoon that the winds carried the pleas of help from some farmers. Learning of this news I traveled swiftly towards them. The air was dry and hot, not the usual temperature for this time of year. Rice is grown during this season and it needs moist, wet climate to thrive. I pondered this strange happening when I came across the farmers who needed help. Upon their faces were lines of sorrow and worry; sadness etched upon every wrinkle. Men and women looked at me with tears almost to their eyes. When they saw me they all started talking at once, but I couldn't understand what they were saying. I gathered bits and pieces, but my main focus was what lie before me. Never in my life had I seen plots so ghastly or atrocious. The soil looked crumbly and the plants were withered and lifeless. The air itself had a depressing feel to it. Instead of water flooding the plots, the land was barren. I returned my attention back to the farmers and promised to help them. As the shadows overtook the land I was still out of ideas of what to do. Never before had this happened. Mother Nature usually kept all things in place, but these farmers must have done something to upset her. Once the night had settled I had come up with an idea. These plots have been deprived of water and needed some hydration. Seeing as it would have taken ages to get water from a nearby well to them (even though I am a goddess, my powers do not extend to that region) I decided that milk from my breasts would do the trick. So I traveled back to the rice field and squeezed some out onto each plot of rice. The difference was noticeable soon afterwards. The rice blossomed and it came out white, I guess that's what happens when you put milk in instead of water, and the farmers woke to see it all. The transformation of their attitudes and emotions made me feel  better. Their faces no longer had that heavy burden and their eyes looked brighter. They no longer had to worry about going hungry or having to wonder where the next meal was coming from. After rejoicing among themselves, they thanked me and I was on my way.

1 comment: